Thursday, August 2, 2012

The worst cases


I just got through treating a young girl. She had two broken ribs, comminuted fractures on both her tibia and fibula of her left leg, and a displaced oblique fracture on her right radius. She also had many bruises and lacerations over her entire body. I got her bones set, patched up the rest of her, and gave her some pain meds.

She couldn’t be more than 17 years old. She wouldn’t give me her name, and I wouldn’t post it here if she did. She also wouldn’t tell me how she got her injuries. I imagine it was the result of a run-in with some sort of proxy. The full deal wouldn’t have left her alive. She’d been dropped off at my door by some anonymous helper.

This is what I hate about my job. This is what I hate about these things in general. They always (or nearly always) go after kids. I’ve seen maybe on person over the age of 25 in my clinic. They’re mostly around their early twenties, but I’ve had kids as young as 14 and 15 come through my doors. It’s terrible.
I do not understand why these creatures choose to attack children. They are the most innocent of people. But maybe that is why.

May Shashthi look over them keep them safe.

1 comment:

  1. You'd be surprised doc how many people come away from an encounter with the real thing with only injuries. Sometimes quite minor. Sometimes I think They like to toy with Their food like cats.

    ReplyDelete